In this study, a researcher from Iran evaluated the efficacy of the essential oil of Zataria multiflora, also known as Shirazi thyme, in the management of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The review was published in the Journal of Dietary Supplements.
- IBS is the most common chronic functional gastrointestinal disorder in the world.
- It is categorized as either IBS-C and IBS-D, which are equivalent to “Ghoolenj Rihi” and “Maghs Rihi” in Iranian traditional medicine.
- One of the medicinal uses of Z. multiflora is for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders like IBS.
- The researcher used all accessible references to evaluate the efficacy of Z. multiflora essential oil as a natural treatment for IBS.
- According to the results of gas chromatography and mass spectrometry analyses, Z. multiflora essential oil contains active components like carvacrol and thymol.
- Taken orally and daily, 60 drops of Z. multiflora essential oil (2 percent) can relieve symptoms of IBS without any adverse effects.
- Pharmacological studies also confirm that Z. multiflora essential oil and its main components exhibit analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and anti-ulcer properties.
Based on these findings, the researcher concluded that Z. multiflora essential oil is a good natural medicine for the management of IBS.
Mahboubi M. THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF ZATARIA MULTIFLORA BOISS IN TREATMENT OF IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (IBS). Journal of Dietary Supplements. 15 January 2018;16(1):119–128. DOI: 10.1080/19390211.2017.1409852